Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Changes!

So we're working on some changes with the little man, now that he's out of the newborn stage. So far it's been going okay...as I eluded to with the last post, we are working on getting Grant to take a bottle. For a few days now he's taken it, so we hope that continues. I'm not ready to wean yet, but he's taking 1 bottle of formula a day now in preparation. I'd like to continue to breastfeed until 6 months and since you can't give milk until 1 year, formula it is. Man that stuff stinks. In other eating news, we will be starting him on rice cereal this weekend. I think he's definitely ready, but we'll see how he takes it. I can't believe my baby is already at this stage. It's crazy!!
We're also trying to break him of the swaddle. Last night was his first night without it. He did wake up at 12:45, but I was able to calm him and put him back down swaddle-less. So we're just taking this one day at a time. I think he's ready physically (doesn't have the startle reflex), but it's a sleep association for him....like I'm in my swaddle, time to sleep. He has been breaking out occasionally for a week or two now and then going back to sleep, so fingers crossed it will continue to go well.
I haven't taken that many pictures this week...I can't find the camera, but I'm sure it's around. Here's a few though. As you can see he's sort of half sitting already. No problem in his bumbo or with the boppy propped behind him. No un-assisted sitting yet though (he IS only 4 months).



4 comments:

  1. You might try partially swaddling him, or swaddling with his arms out. That might help ease the transition. We also went straight to a sleep sack and I think that helped ease the transition too. We still use the sleep sack and I LOVE it! She can't crawl out of her crib wearing it!

    He's so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all the new pictures! I'm glad Grant will take a bottle at least once a day -- does that mean I can babysit and feed him while you and Eamonn go out sometime? Hope he enjoys his rice cereal this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Emily - we're going cold turkey! I guess that might be a little crazy, but since he's been breaking out and sleeping without we figured we'd just try it. Day 2 was a success...I hope we don't have to go back to it. A few nights ago I checked him on the monitor and he was half in, half out with the swaddle part over his face. That was the end for me.
    Mom - yes definitely...babysitting will hopefully now be possible.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Time flies, huh? Congrats on all the positive progress!

    ReplyDelete